Friday 27 May 2011

A quilt top, and a wave of aestheticism

The Rose Parade quilt top is complete but it will not be keeping me warm on my holiday sofa this summer; instead it is now on its way to gracing the bed of a princess, a princess who had no call for a quilt until she saw this one in progress.


She stepped in, gave me a little guidance as to fabric arrangements and preferences, and is taking me to town to choose the backing fabric tomorrow.

Blowing in the wind - again

So here is the QUIP moving QUIFward, although it is nigh on impossible for the photographic amateur to get a good picture of a quilt on a tempest-tossed washing line (I had a professional photographer to stay last night, who also complained about the wind, so maybe it isn't just me), but I did rather like the stained glass effect of the reverse side (which also shows up any imperfections in the seams), and the princess is delighted with the finished result (which is a relief).

The art of seaming, or don't look too closely

Although princesses tend to smile sweetly and gaze admiringly on one's belongings in a longing sort of way, and charm them out of one's possession (a Cath Kidston handbag and purse come to mind), their presence in the house does offer some advantages, viz:

1. One now has a valid reason for taking out a subscription to Selvedge (on her behalf, of course) in the furtherance of her artistic leanings;

2. One also has a valid reason for taking a trip up to the Great Wen to visit the V&A (again) all for the sake of the cultural education of the younger generation. (Thrifty hint: there is the most wonderful charity shop almost opposite, where I found the most delectable floral frock last time.)

The trip may not be to the 'too utterly utter' Cult of Beauty exhibition, which was so utterly utter that I want to see it again, and am looking for somebody to come with me, but this time to Yohji Yamamoto (all very cutting edge for a granny fashionista). I have inhabited the nineteenth century so long, that it will do me good to face up to the present one (and the generation gap is made explicit in that the princess in dire need of a cultural education sees a distinction between 'twentieth-century fashion' and 'modern fashion', whereas I in my dotage did not).

If you need to dig a hole, ask a Ploughboy

So I have been reflecting on the way in which my family, young and old, are of great service to me: the Head Chef does bins, drains, and heavy lifting; the Ploughboy will dig a hole anywhere on request, and keeps me up to date with tractor specs; the General is always there for a conversation on typography and the wonders of the Interweb, and I have told you how Princess Bunchy is a great facilitator of unselfish expenditure.

Heavy lifting

I really only wanted to drop in briefly and tell you an everyday story of a quilt, but a shaggy dog wrestled me to the ground and I am beginning to feel quite Aesthetic: as I float off I wish you all an utterly utter weekend, filled with beauty, floral frocks, and a smiling, helpful family.

Beauty and the bin

27 comments:

sara said...

Darling teenage daughters (I have two) proclaim loudly their distast of all things mamma made, and then sneakily whip my retro crochet cushion off my second best sofa to adorn their manky teenage sofa upstairs, when challenged they claim the cat ate it!............I know your anguish well my dear, but to be honest if I had been in the vicinity of such a fabulous quilt I would wish to claim it too.

lily x

Chrissie said...

Is she truly a princess? Have you tried a pea under the mattress...?! Lovely post and have a nice weekend yourself.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sounds to me as though you are every bit as smiling and helpful as the rest of your family.

PinkCatJo said...

It sounds like you are very trendy! I'm looking forward to a visit to the V&A soon!

Beautiful quilt - I love the colours. x

Serenata said...

The quilt really does have a wonderful stained glass effect from the wrong side. It is wonderful.

If ever you want to meet up in London at the V & A, I would be keen. I've met several blogger friends there now :-)

Have a great weekend.

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I've got one of those Princesses too!! ;)
Love the quilt top!

andamento said...

The quilt top is looking great, I love the arrangement of fabrics.

I'm looking forward to when my children are a little older and we can have more interesting trips too. At almost 6 I feel my daughter is old enough to start already really, But my son needs to grow up a little (he's 2!).

SG said...

I love the quilt.

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

A perfect heirloom to keep.
You'll have to share her choice of backing fabric too.
All that hard work is well worth a subscription to Selvedge a delightful magazine...
Have a great weekend!
Susan x

Tina said...

That's a gorgeous, happy quilt top, Pomona. Well done!
xx

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Roses and candy stripes - what a lovely quilt and sun in your garden too. Have a happy weekend. Lesley x

MILLY said...

The quilt top looks lovely blowing on the line. Just think the next one will be even better and you can keep it for yourself. Well done on making such good progress with it.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Don't you just love helpful family members? We are expecting a visit from younger son and daughter in law tomorrow. Bound to be transformational.
I was quite struck by your quilting accuracy actually.

Ruth said...

So loved the picture of your quilt flying in the wind!

Frances said...

I do like the look of that quilt and agree that it's got lots of stained glass style.

Have a grand time in London, and please do tell us about the Yohji Yamamoto exhibit. I'd love to see it!

xo

SewHappyGeek said...

Oh my, we'll be able to get together and compare Rose Parade quilts soon, lol! If I ever get mine quilted, that is!

Hen said...

"A smiling helpful family" hmmm, can't see the Munchkin fitting in there anywhere! The quit top is looking fabulous, well done you, gorgeous fabric and colour choices and very good placement, too. Look forward to seeing it all quilted up.
Hen x

Arianwen said...

Cute quilt! I sometimes think that is the best bit of quilts -the top. I know a lot of people who have whole cupboards filled with quilt tops. I get them to that stage and feel all inspired and then it seems to take an age to quilt them all up into something special.

Ruth said...

Thanks Pomona, the weather was kind, no rain. The fete was lovely and fun. :)

menopausalmusing said...

You are just going to HAVE to buy more fabric for another quilt now....tsk tsk, terrible job, but someone has to do it......

Anonymous said...

I don't blame the princess for claiming that gorgeous quilt, if I was in her shoes, I would demand it too!
I am very envious of your useful family, OH has been very unuseful whilst recovering from his appendix op so the jobs have been piling up but hope to catch up on a few this weekend.
Please take heart and don't give up on your meadow, if my moisure loving mix can hang on through a drought, I am sure your conservation mix will do the same, I am willing you some rain!

Jennyff said...

Lovely quilt in the breeze photos, actually if your weather anything like it is here is more of a hurricane so lucky for the princess it didn't blow completely away.

MarmaladeRose said...

That first photo grabbed me. Wow! It's beautiful! Would you like to adopt another Princess Bunchy?

andrea creates said...

What a pretty quilt! I like how it looks on the line too :)
I just wanted to stop by and say that you are the (new) winner of my giveaway-it's all posted on my blog!
If you could send me a convo on etsy or an email with your shipping info -I can get it sent off soon :)
andreacreates at hotmail dot com
have a super weekend...

Canadian Abroad said...

Lovely quilt and lovely post. And fabric shopping to come. What more could we want for?!

Nicky said...

Great blog - love the humour - it helps with teenagers! Love the quilt. Should we feel honoured when they claim stuff? I guess we should unless we really want it and then it's just annoying!

Karen L R said...

this is a most delightful post...a sweet peek into the goings on at your place. (fabulous quilt).

i just bought a copy of the march/april issue of selvedge...it is utterly inspiring. i may have drooled a bit as i gave it a first glance last night. a subscription is tempting...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails