Tuesday 9 October 2012

Sewing with Lola Nova

I am sure that the blog Lola Nova - Whatever Lola Wants needs no introduction, but if you have yet to visit, you are in for a treat. And so was I in for a treat today, when the truly beautiful book, Simple Sewing with Lola Nova appeared on my doorstep (it is not out officially in the US until the spring, but wherever you are you can get it already from The Book Depository, who will ship worldwide).

A surprise in the post

I was lucky enough to win this in the giveaway held by Lola Nova (aka the very talented Alexandra Smith) - it's not often that you win a book that is already on your wishlist, and exceedingly wonderful not to have to wait for Christmas to get a peek inside.


And I have to say that it is a really lovely book - quite different from your average sewing manual. The projects are different and individual, and the Lola Nova style shines through. So often when you read craft books you feel that you have seen it all before, but this book is full of projects with a difference, and there are lots that I want to try.

Things to make and do
The photography by Yuki Sugiura is really atmospheric, and the design as a whole really conveys the Lola look. I love the way that the sections are called Boho, Natural, Vintage, Eclectic and Whimsy, which really give you an indication of her individual take on crafting - this really is crafting with a difference, and with a very definite and unique sense of style.

Sweet dress
The range of projects runs from things for children to wear to adornments for your house and office and even some beautiful stitched and embellished notecards - things for you to make for yourself and for you to give as presents.

Pretty skirt


There are very clear step-by-step photographs and instructions to get you through any tricky bits, together with templates for all the patterns, and each project is labelled with the skill level required.

Multipurpose

I am rather pleased to see instructions for a Lola-style multipurpose Hook Book, and also a rather snazzy bag, both of which I have admired on the blog and in the Lola Nova Etsy shop before now, and am also planning to make some Everything Baskets. The Artist's Pouches would be good to mass-produce for Christmas presents (Princess Bunchy already having placed an order for presents for friends).


Snazzy bag
 So all in all,  I can genuinely highly recommend Simple Sewing with Lola Nova by Alexandra Smith - thank you Lola Nova and well done!

15 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

Looks like a brilliant book! Lucky you for winning it and us for getting such a good review.

gilly said...

Fabulous looking projects - going to have to keep a look out for that book. Hopping over to Lola Nova's blog now to take a peek!
xx

Tangled Sweetpea said...

Ooh this book looks GoRgEoUs! I'm going on a beginners sewing course next month, can't wait to learn to sew, the projects in this book look fabulous!
Victoria xx

noknittedknickers said...

Ooh, that looks lovely! I know just what you mean about some books feeling a bit samesame. But this looks a gem. Happy sewing! C.x

Lola Nova said...

Thank you so much for your lovely words about my book! It means so much that you are enjoying it.

xo

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Lucky you winning the giveaway! :)
It does look a brilliant book, I do love her blog. :)
Vivienne x

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Lucky you! It looks brill! Can it help you to sew in straight lines, oh and not make mistakes!!! Ada :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations it looks a wonderful book
Thea x

Carol said...

What serendipity, I just went from LolaNova blog to Amazon to look at her book and next I click on your bloG - and you have done a lovely review for us!
The book does look excellent, a definite for the Wish List.
Carol xx

Draffin Bears said...

How wonderful to win this fabulous book, congratulations!
Will have to look out for this.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Katy Cameron said...

It looks like a lovely book. 2 have just arrived for me in the last 2 days, just in time for me to have to fly off and leave them for 3 1/2 weeks - waaaah!

the linen cloud said...

Looks absolutely gorgeous ... thanks so much for sharing ... off to take a peep at the Lola Nova blog now ... Bee xx

...Nina Nixon... said...

I do like the look of that.....a lot.

Christmas wish list for me I'm guessing - hubby always needs a list, so it will be a perfect thing to add.

Nina x

Annie Cholewa said...

I must say I was most envious of your win! What a truly lovely book. Happy sewing Pomona :D

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Congratulations on your win Pomona. Being totally without any sewing skills whatsoever I can really appreciate those step by step intructions.

Thank you my dear for your thoughtful comment to my recent post, I send my heartfelt best wishes back to you also.

Jeanne
xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails