Monday 25 February 2013

More scrapping; or, using up those teeny-tiny bits of fabric you have been hanging on to just in case

I'd like to tell you that I have made a huge hole in my scrap basket with my next project for using up scraps ...


but actually it's more like a small dent.


Still, it was a very satisfying little make, with handy little pockets just the right size for cards and lip balm. I used Ayumi's Pink Penguin Patchwork Wristlet pattern which is exceedingly easy to follow (and also exceedingly alliterative).




Although I suppose it doesn't really count as a wristlet this time, as it just has tabs, which are definitely too small for wrists, but somehow have an air of usefulness even so.

I think the secret to its air of jollity is using scraps from a wide range of fabrics and colours and not being too cautious about what colours you put together (you will find my first version here).




And you can make these zippy bags even more thrifty by making the tabs out of the tiny scraps of ribbon from clothing swing tags (you may recognize a certain brand here [not one I wear myself, but I am a great scavenger of bins ... ]). (I also cut out the narrow pieces of ribbon you find inside dresses and tops as extra shoulder hangers - they are very handy for embellishing zipper pulls.)

Zips can also be saved from old make-up bags, skirts and dresses - you can always cut them down to size if necessary, or if you need to buy them, Zipit on Etsy is one of the best value suppliers I know.

So there's no excuse for you now - get scrapping!



27 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

Love the new blog look! And so pleased to know I am not the only one who saves all those bits of ribbon. Gorgeous scrappy pouch.

~mel said...

I love your little scrappy bag ~ and the potholder on the prior post. I've made a few bags myself with scraps - but you've inspired me to do some potholders. Thanks for visiting my blog and so glad to have found yours. I enjoyed the visit:)

Katherine said...

Oh, so pretty, Pomona! Love those pretty fabrics and bits of ribbon.

and... you will not believe this... but I think we really are on the same wavelength. I just stitched up a scrappy zip pouch last evening. LOL

Go scrappy! ;o)

cottonreel said...

Nice scraps , I wish mine looked as interesting

**Anne** said...

Gorgeous little scrappy bag. I love those mix of colours, so bright and cheerful.
Anne xx

Julie said...

I find it frustratingly difficult to make a dent in my scraps. I do wish they disappeared faster - they always seem untidy and take up far too much space but I still can't throw them out. I need to do more of what you are doing.
Thanks for the zip shop tip. Juliex

Unknown said...

thats so pretty, and will be so handy, i'm very inspired to get making with those scraps...thank you :-) x

Angela said...

Very pretty pouch indeed!!
I have a number of short zips recovered from old pencil cases

Ladybird Diaries said...

Hi there, just found your lovely blog via Vintage Vicki. Love your projects for using up scraps, so beautiful and colourful.
M xxx

Katy Cameron said...

Very sweet! Often I find myself using only scraps and there seems to be even more left at the end...

Claire said...

Hey Pomona, love your little patchwork bag, gorgeous fabrics......
I keep my scraps in large, clear ,plastic 'ziplock' bags, the pile keeps growing and I keep having to buy larger bags.
Problem is sometimes I only need a scrap an inch by an inch, which makes it hard for me to throw anything away.....just in case!!
Might just have to be ruthless or get busy and start sewing them altogether to make some wonderful things.

Claire :}

Deborah said...

This is so inspiringly adorable!!

Frances said...

Pomona, I do admire your color sense, and your amazingly wise ways at recycling textile gems like those zippers! I would never have thought of that one, although I am quite good at capturing buttons here and there.

Ayumi is a delight...her posts always offer a special inspiration.

Right now, I just need to have an extra few hours in each day to work on all the creative projects that have captured my interest.

xo

Mrs. Micawber said...

I knew there was a good reason for saving all those zippers....

:)

Flower Girl said...

Very pretty indeed...what a lovely way to use up all the little pieces! Rx

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

It all looks so new and fresh here today...love the banner.
I've never had much luck with zippers, I bet you could figure out a way to use Velcro instead.
Have a wonderful week.
Susan x

cottonreel said...

I just trawled thro,. your post about the book Sunday Morning quilts . I love those baskets for colour co, ord , but I have to have big plastic boxes for mine . I have dithered about that book , I buy so many but I'm off to Amazon for another peek
Thanks for visiting

gilly said...

Fab little pouches - I love all the colour combinations you've used.
Happy scrapping!
xx

andrea creates said...

thanks so much for stopping by :)
i have so many scraps -i really should make a bunch of these.yours turned out so cute!
i save the handles from paper shopping bags too-sometimes they're fun heavy ribbons, like a gros grain or cording...

Saffa Barkhordar said...

I love this purse Pomona! Really lovely as it was made from scraps and so reusing as well! Also am feeling uplifted by your beautiful new blog banner, such a magical photo, really stunning :) hope your scrap adventures are going well this week, love safxxx

GardenOfDaisies said...

So pretty! I'll have to give these a try. I have many scraps!

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

I really must learn how to inset zips! Just lovely! :) x

Quinn said...

Love the colors and the tidy patchwork! I also love the detail on your applecore pincushion :)

Down by the sea said...

Such wonderful inspiration of how to use up those scraps!
Sarah x

imperfectly natural mama said...

Wow, what pretty colours, a great way of using up small scraps of pretty fabric. I knew I kept hold of them for something!

Gillian Roe said...

So very pretty! And useful too - what more could one want? I like your happy, random patchwork effect.

Gillian x

Nicky said...

perfectly performed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails