Sunday 10 February 2013

Sunday musings

It has been a quiet week in Lake Woebegon, Garrison Keillor used to say, in a rather comforting way, at the beginning of each tale about the eccentricities of life in a small town far, far away.

I wish that I could say the same for my little corner of the universe. I seem to be becoming far too well acquainted with the Minor Injuries Clinic, not to mention Major Injuries affecting printers. And spending too much time failing to nurse said printer back to life.

... from me to you

We are now possessed of inky hands, a Head Injury leaflet and a Chest Injury leaflet, both of which latter have a rather disturbing advertisement for what are commonly known as ambulance-chasing lawyers on the back page.

Sadly, our injuries were self-inflicted so I can only laugh bitterly (and then grimace with pain) at the thought of profiting from our jolly japes.

But perhaps you can profit from the warning to beware of garden tools, in fact, please don't venture outside at all, for the outdoors is a dangerous place.

Trim

And if your printer is out of its guarantee, then don't waste a morning haunting the forums of the tech-savvy - don't mess about, just kick the printer hard (or perhaps not, you may find yourself the grimacing possessor of a Leg Injury leaflet) and spend an hour or two locating a new printer which uses the same ink cartridges that you have just spent £50 on in a vain effort to heal the old one.

Fold

However, I digress. Having shown you some photos of a storm-thrashed quilt I now present the interior shots to comfort myself with the fact that some weeks are better than others.

Pieced

In answer to some of your questions, the front was pieced from a Cabbages and Roses Athill range jelly roll and charm pack using a downloadable pattern from Sweet Jane called Market Square - a great pattern, easy to follow. The fabric has a wonderful, soft, antique air, and produced a vintage-effect quilt. The backing was also from the Athill range, with a pieced strip using the leftover charm squares, all bought from JB Quilting (I can highly recommend them - their service is so efficient, with next-day delivery if you order before lunchtime, and a huge range of fabrics). I hand quilted around the small centre squares and the pieced squares in a light greyish-blue. I don't think I have ever finished a quilt so quickly - I am quite astonished, but a looming deadline is obviously what I need to improve my work rate.

Dappled

And thank you for all of your lovely comments - I know that I have been dreadfully remiss about responding, but I am breathing very deeply to avoid pneumonia, the Head Chef has a rearranged hairline, and I have a century-full of Admirals and a battleship steaming up behind me, so please do forgive me for my silence.

And I very much hope that you have a quiet week in your neck of the woods ...

29 comments:

Noelle the dreamer said...

A post we will definitively remember Pomona! Outch! Pneumonia is not something to laugh and it sounds as if the Head Chef himself is not up to par!
Here is wishing the both of you do take it easy and an all around speedy recovery!
Look forward to Spring! Sun is a great comfort!
Love your banner by the by! (Poppies are my favourite flowers!)

Canadian Abroad said...

Well bugger, wish it was all going much better than it was. And I thought the admiral sailed away not to be seen again. Hope all injuries heal rapidly and that the printer gets its just deserves.

Cornflower said...

Lovely! And here's to a speedy recovery all round.

Elizabethd said...

Your quilt is beautiful, such gentle colours.

gilly said...

Ouch, sorry to read you've been in the wars. I love your quilt, I have a Cabbages & Roses WIP at the mo too, the fabric is so pretty.
Wishing you a well & happy week,
Xx

Barbara said...

Hope all is well and you are healing.

Always the way with printers - buy a new cartridge then have to get rid of the printer. Know the feeling.

Indigo Blue said...

Goodness! I was not quite sure what to make of this to start with but I hope everyone is on the mend. Good to hear from you and I hope the first aid kit is well stocked and I have a personal dislike for printers which have been known to break in this house every time Ofsted is visiting!
Take care
xx

Annie Cholewa said...

Having recently suffered a lung injury and subsequently managing to get the pneumonia you, I hope, are successfully avoiding ... take care x

Lovely quilt, but I think I said that lat time.

Katy Cameron said...

Oh sweary words! Well the year can only get better. I think...

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

I do hope the next week truly is a quieter week!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

A body is sure to heal more quickly, feel more restful when nestled under that beautiful quilt.

Draffin Bears said...

The quilt is gorgeous.
As for the printer, sounds a lot like mine - often feel frustrated with my one.
Wishing you both good health, take care and hope you have a good week

Carolyn

ted and bunny said...

keep deep breathing- after I got kicked in the chest by Bruce I walked round for a week without realising I had a punctured lung, and pnumonia is NO NO NO joke!!
xx
ps no-one can be worse with printers than me. Why can't I just press the button and it prints, without needing to summon help from spirits from the other world, guardian angels, and any good luck charms that might just swing the balance twixt yes and noooooooooooooooo

Helen Philipps said...

Such a pretty quilt, Pomona! It sounds as if you've been having a difficult time. Wishing you all a very speedy recovery.
Helen x

Gina said...

Wishing a much quieter and accident free week. Keep well!

Elizabeth said...

Do hope you are feeling better!
THe quilt is charming.
As regards printers --my husband goes quite wild with fury at ours....
we have had various makes....and they all stink.
Oh well, onwards and upwards.

JudyCinNC said...

Oh my, surely not the pneumonia... hard to be rid of. Some days are surely a waste of good make up and clean clothes, as we say here in North Carolina. Take the time to make you better. Judy C in NC

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

You do seem to have yourself in a pickle but alas I know you'll pull through ok.
Love the quilt, so Spring inspiring which by the way is only 30 days away!
Take care.
Susan x

Lola Nova said...

Oh good heavens, do be careful wont you! the quilt is beautiful and lovely! You are becoming quite the quilter my dear. Do stay well and carry on!

Frances said...

Pomona, thank you for the additional photographs of that truly beautiful quilt. It is definitely going to be an heirloom. What tiny stitches...all perfectly aligned. Wow! The fabric choice is perfect.

Now on to healthy living. I do hope you are feeling better with each passing hour. It is always worse when you are the perp who damaged your own good self. I know all about that sort of thing.

I've had some of those printer golden moments too, both at work and at home.

xo

dottycookie said...

Hope you have a much quieter, injury free week! Those fabrics are really lovely, the quilt looks like a treasured vintage one already!

Mrs. Micawber said...

Oh dear. Did they give you one of those flowmeters (as I think they're called) to puff into? Best wishes for your return to health and for the Head Chef's quick healing.

What beautiful blind-stitching on your quilt binding. :)

And that's the news from Lake Wobegone, where all the women are strong (and can demolish their printers with a single kick)....

GK still opens the News from LW with the "quiet week" line.

*Maristella* said...

Wonderful!!!!!! :):)
Kiss, *Maristella*.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am so pleased to find you posting again but sorry you are all in the wars of one description or another. Odd how these injuries go in spates isn't it? Perhaps having one makes you more likely to get the next. Hope you will all soon be thriving again. And you are distracting yourself inside with the most beautiful quilt. I had managed to forget about my unfinished project and devote myself to knitting but reading this and looking at your fabulous pictures has brought it all bouncing back demandingly into the daylight. I am not sure whether to thank you or not!

Gillian Roe said...

Beautiful! I love those Cabbages and Roses fabrics. Sorry to hear about your injuries - who knew printers could cause so much harm?!

Gillian x

Nicky said...

Sounds painful but you obviously need armour before venturing outside or just stay in and stitch something lovely.....again!

Get better soon!

Sophie Belle Designs said...

It's a great quilt, I agree with you about the antique air. Keep SAFE

Catherine said...

Hello dear Pomona, I feel quite certain that the head chefs arms were simply too short! Delightful quilt. Ah garden tools! Youngest son has just popped in requiring urgent hair cut & sporting horrific grazes on an elbow (over the handle bars). I have offered him his sisters "native bush balm" but he insists it's fine : 0, the balm however is the best thing I have ever had in the cupboard, under the guise of first aid..it fixes almost anything..not sure about head injuries however, sorry.
Yes, much to be said for the "quiet week". Wishing you a gentle one. Much love Catherine x0x0x

Barbara said...

Had you on my mind today so got to catching up where I left off. How beautiful and fluffy the chicks are which I know will be well grown by now. Life has been so busy here but I have managed to do some posts but not as many as would have liked. glad to have caught up with you anyhow. Hope all well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails